The Trip That Changed My Life
Travel has the power to change our thinking, inspire our imaginations, and experience unforgettable moments. Put simply, travel can change your life.
For this assignment, we want to know about the trip that changed your life. And we want to share that inspiration with the world by putting your best travel picture on the cover of National Geographic Traveler! Maybe it was a year studying abroad, a summer road trip, or simply a quick jaunt to the next town over. Is there a place you can’t stop talking or dreaming about? Better yet—are there travel photos you took that make you feel inspired all over again? The Your Shot community never ceases to amaze us, and that’s why we’re looking to you for the cover of National Geographic Traveler's upcoming “Epic Summer” issue (June/July 2018).
Send us pictures of the places you’ve been that re-energized you and changed your outlook on the world. We’re looking for images that take our breath away, whether they be of waterfalls, mountains, heritage sites, landmarks, road trips, or adventures.
As you look through your travel photos, or set out to take new ones, here are some things to think about:
· The very best travel magazine cover photos make readers wish they were in the picture.
· Your photograph should demonstrate a strong sense of place. The location you’ve photographed does not have to be immediately recognizable, but the scene should not feel like a generic landscape.
· Magazine covers require a photo with vertical orientation. You can submit horizontal images, but we’ll have to crop them to fit. Additionally, our National Geographic Traveler logo will appear across the top, so too-busy backgrounds can make the type hard to read.
· The photograph will ideally have been taken within the last five years. Places change quickly, and the image should reflect the destination as it is today.
· As always, captions are important. In addition to naming the location, please include details about why and how this trip changed your life.
It’s a wide and wonderful world out there, and we can’t wait to be amazed and inspired by your pictures of it!